Monday, April 9, 2018

How I Roll - Emma Purse - Moonbeam Fabric Preorder!

The second project I decided to make with the Moon Beam strike offs was also a tester for a later order.  I needed to see if I could make the Emma (From ChrisW Designs) big enough to fit a tablet and large set of headphones, but I didn't want to risk the harder to replace fabric...so instead I went with impossible to replace fabric (it makes sense to me...just go with it).  For the strike offs, I received 2 identical panels in different sizes and a yard of the dice fabric, so my second project had to be a smaller one!
Black fabric really hides the details of the flap...
Orange zipper actually matches the orange dice, great primary colors!
The graphics on the 2 panels were very similar in size, with the child/infant panel being slightly smaller.  The big difference is the amount of surrounding fabric!  With the adult panel I had enough to do the entire front of the Fresno AND piece together a strap.  With the child sized, I was able to cut the flap and that was about it.
Child size barely fit the entire graphic on the flap
Back.  Could have added a pocket here, if I had time
For the upsizing, we decided that the original length and height of the Emma was fine, but it needed to be MUCH wider, closer to 5" instead of the 2" specified by the pattern.  To make it wider, I actually cut the gusset in half, down the center, and added in a 3" strip of paper.  The other thing I had to consider was the flap.  Adding on to the gusset meant that it would need to be longer to fully close.  I added on 3" to the top of the flap to account for the increase in width.  This gave it a lot of room to expand.

Super-sized gusset!
The other change I made was using a magnet to close it instead of a twist lock.  I measured up 1" from the flap edge and put the center mark for my magnet there.  Then I went through the sewing of the flap per the pattern.  I installed the other side of the magnet on the front panel, using the measurement provided in the pattern.
Batman is a high roller
I also used a single strap (cut to 4" wide) to make a shoulder strap, instead of the braided one called for in the pattern.
Don't delay, the Moon Beam preorder closes April 21!

Affiliate Disclosure: I will receive compensation from Moon Beam Textile Company when a purchase is made using the links in this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments and receive feedback! Thanks for visiting!